Tyler Junior College (TJC) is a historical and prestigious educational institution located in Tyler, Texas, USA. The college’s existence was sketched for the first time in the year 1926. Currently the college is functioning under the effective presidency of L. Michael Metke, Ph.D. Holding the motto “Fulfilling Three Promises: A Quality Education, A Vibrant Student Life, Community Service” the college holds a glorious history of more than a half century. Tyler Junior College is a community college which presently holds Homer Hays, Ph.D. as a provost.
Tyler Junior College stands as largest community colleges in the Texas. The college shelters 12,000 plus credit students annually along with 20,000 continuing education students. TJC controls satellite centers in Jacksonville and Lindale. Tyler Junior College serves Associate in Arts, Associate in Applied Science and Associate of Arts in Teaching degrees, along with technical preparation and certificate programs.
The college worked as a fragment of Tyler public school system in its earlier days from 1926 to 1945. Later the college performed as an independent educational institution under the name Tyler Junior College District. Now the junior college district shelters the Tyler, Chapel Hill, Grand Saline, Lindale, Van and Winona school district.
TJC serves around 80 Associate of Arts in Teaching, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science degrees and also holds around 45 Certificate choices. The college is renowned for Apache Marching Band, Apaches Belles drill team and Apache Punch drum line. The college believes in education that is supported by extra curriculum including sports. The college takes part in the National Junior College Athletic Association’s Region XIV holding Apache men’s soccer, football, and basketball, baseball, tennis and golf teams. The college also holds Apache women’s team of volleyball, soccer, basketball, tennis and golf. The college’s was crowned national junior championships in basketball in 2000, men’s baseball in the year 2007, men’s golf in 2008, men’s and women soccer in 2009, men’s tennis in 2010 and women’s tennis in 2010 and 2011.
The college produces thousands of graduates annually. Thousands of students have been the part of prestigious Tyler Junior College. Many of its students has been able to make their name in various fields.
· Derick Armstrong, Canadian football wide receiver who is a part of the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League
· John Harvey - award winning Canadian Football League player.
· Bryan Hughes - Republican member of the Texas House of Representatives from Wood County since 2003.
· Charles R. Moore (minister) - Methodist minister and civil rights advocate.
· Allen R. Morris - Emmy Award winning producer/director/writer; formerly with KLTV.
· Davide Somma, Soccer player for Leeds United & South Africa.
· Byron M. Tunnell, Texas politician.
· Mike Easterlin, General Manager, Fueled By Ramen/Roadrunner Records, Atlantic Recording Corp., New York City, (1986)
· Jimmy Butler, Chicago Bulls
· Dom Dwyer, Soccer Player for Sporting Kansas City
The college offers wide range of programs as per the need of the students and the society. The following programs are qualitative and effective to guide the students towards better future.
: Humanities, Communication, and Fine Arts Degrees.
- Foreign Languages
- General Studies
- Theatre/Musical Theatre
: Professional and Technical Programs Degrees
- Automotive Technology
- Business Management
- Child Development/Early Childhood
- Computer Science/Information Systems
- Criminal Justice
- Emergency Medical Services Professions
- Engineering Design Technology
- Fire Protection Technology
- Game and Simulation Development
- Health Information Technology
- Medical Office Management
- Power Plant Technology
- Professional Tennis Management
- Public Administration
- Sign Language Interpreting
- Surveying & Mapping Technology
- Visual Communications
- Welding Technology
- ACT-On Retail Management Careers Project
- Electrical/Electronic Controls Technology
- Wellness & Exercise Specialist
- ACE - Accelerated Certification for Educators
: Nursing and Health Sciences Degrees
- Dental Hygiene
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Human Services
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Nursing, Associate Degree
- Nursing, Vocational (VNE)
- Radiologic Technology
- Respiratory Care
- Surgical Technology
- Vision Care Technology
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
: Engineering, Mathematics, and Science Degrees
- Environmental Science
- General Studies
- Health and Kinesiology
- Pre-Health Professions
- Social Work
The history the college holds today is a combined effort of many peoples. The college currently functions under the management of following administrators
-Office of the President
Dr. Mike Metke
- Academic Affairs
Dr. Homer "Butch" Hayes
- Advancement and External Affairs
Dr. Kimberly Russell
- Business Affairs
Sarah Van Cleef
- Student Affairs
Dr. Juan Mejia
Tyler Junior College (TJC) has sketched an irreplaceable space among the thousands of educational institution existing all around the world. The qualitative and effective education system of the college has not only attracted the students of the United States but also the students of countries all around the world. The students all around the world have considered Tyler Junior College (TJC) as an effective means to guide them towards their destiny. Tyler Junior College (TJC) is the home of the students from various countries and various states of America. The determination and hard work of years have established this college among the best colleges in the world. The college has defined excellence through its effort to serve effective education to its students.
It has not only attracted the students inside the United States by it qualitative, unique and effective education system but also the students around the world believe the college as a place to be who search bright future and successful career through the means of qualitative education. The well experienced and educated instructor of the university guides their students toward better future.