One of the oldest universities located in the heart of New York City, College City of New York (CCNY) was establish in 1847. It is one of the most senior colleges in New York. The college is affiliated to three universities City University of New York (CUNY), Association of Public and Land-grant Universities(APLU), American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU). It is located between West 130th and West 141st Street in Manhattan, along Convent Avenue and St. Nicholas Terrace between Amsterdam and St. Nicholas Avenues and is renowned all over the world. It is one of the oldest of City University’s 23 institutions of higher learning. It was first free public institution of higher education of higher education in the US, and is also considered the flagship campus of CUNY public university system. The college is appreciated with 11 Nobel Prize along its alumni, among any public university may boast.
The college was first named as Free Academy of New York of City of New York in 1847 by one of the rich businessman and president of Board Of Education Townsend Harris. The Free Academy was the first of what would become a system of municipally-supported colleges. Then Hunter College was founded as a women’s institution in 1870 and a coeducational institution was established in 1930 named Brooklyn College. Dr. Horace Webster was first graduate of Free Academy, who was selected in 21 January, 1849 on the occasion of its formal opening and Webster said “The experiment is to be tried, whether the children of the people, the children of the whole people, can be educated; and whether an institution of the highest grade, can be successfully controlled by the popular will, not by the privileged few”. In 1847 a curriculum was adopted which had nine fields history, mathematics, literature, language, natural philosophy, drawing, law and political economy. The first graduation of the college was in 1953 in Niblo’s Garden Theatre, Broadway near Houston Street at the corner of Prince Street and Broadway.
The City University of New York began recruiting students for the University Scholars programs in 2000’s fall. The first associates of undergraduate students were admitted in fall 2001. CCNY was one of the five CUNY campuses on which the programs were initiated. Dr. Andrew Grove, a 1960 graduate of the Engineering School in Chemical Engineering, co-founder of Intel Co-corporation, $26 million to Engineering School in 2005 October. Since then the college name was changed and was named Groove school of Engineering. It was the largest donation ever given to the City College of New York. In 2009, School of Architecture shifted into the former Y Building, which was under the design of Rafeal Vinoly, architect. And also was renamed the Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture in the honor of $25 million gift to the school by Spitzer.
The City College was first situated in Manhattan, in the Free Academy Building, which was CCNY’s home from 1849 to 1907. The building was designed by James Renwick, Jr. and was located at Lexington Avenue. It was the first Gothic Revival College building on East Coast. James’s building was demolished in 1928 and was replaced in 1930 with a 16-story structure that is part of the Baruch College Campus in present. CCNY then moved to its current location in upper Manhattan village of Manhattanville in 1906, when the Collegiate Gothic campus was established. The new campus was designed by George Browne Post. The building is perfect example of English Perpendicular Gothic style among the first building. The buildings of Manhattan campus are Shepard Hall, Baskerville Hall, Compton Hall, Harris Hall, and Wingate Hall. In early 1990s, the Gothic Campus had been built and the President of CCNY John H. Finley wanted the college to have a stadium because the existence facilities for College’s athletic teams.
The College offers the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S. Ed.), Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.), Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.) degrees at the undergraduate level, and the Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Science (M.S.), Master of Science in Education (M.S.Ed.), Master of Engineering (M.E.), Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.), Master of Architecture (M.Arch.), Master of Landscape Architecture (M.L.A.), Master of Urban Planning (M.U.P.) Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees at the graduate level.
The college has 401 administration staffs. It also has 581 full-time academic staff and 914 part-time staffs. The first president of the college is Horace Webster (1847 – 1869), second general Alexander S. Webb (1869 – 1902), third John Huston Finley (1903-1913), fourth Sidney Edward Mezes (1914 – 1927), fifth Frederick Robinson (1927 – 19380, sixth Harry N. Wright (1941 – 1952), seventh Buell G. Gallagher (1953 – 1969), eighth Robert Marshak (1970 – 1979), ninth Bernard W. Harleston (1981 – 1992), tenth Yolanda T. Moses (1993 – 1999), Stanford A. Roman Jr. (interim) (1999 – 2000), eleventh Gregory H. Williams (2001 – 2009), Robert “Buzz” paaswell (interim) (2009 – (2010). The current president of CCNY is Dr. Lisa Staiano-Coico and Dr. Maurizo Trevisan is senior among all administrative staffs (provost).
More information about the college and university is found in wiki and college own site. The official site of the college is www.ccny.cuny.edu. The CCNY has been provided with a whopping endowment of $131 million as earned of start of the year 2014. The total student enrolled in the present is 16161 including 13113 undergraduates and 914 postgraduates. The college also accepts international students and also has seprate some quota for them.